Re: writing html in xywrite

Carl Distefano wrote:

> The term "macro" is extremely flexible, in my
> experience. In Xy parlance, macro usually refers to a
> simple XPL program consisting of recorded keystrokes or
> a straight-forward series of functions and/or CMline
> commands. Whereas "program" usually (though not always)
> denotes a more complex set of instructions, including
> logical or string operators, evaluative expressions,
> conditional statements, loops, etc.

Part of this is that Xy usually gives us a number of ways to
accomplish the same task. It is then up for discussion as to
which is the easiest / most direct, the most effective, or uses
the least overhead etc. I used to get a lot of mileage out of
the keystroke recording programs CAPTURE, then later NCAPTURE
(which were XPL programs), by Ernie ______ (sorry, blanking on
the last name right now, but he was a story editor on several TV
shows), and might still use this once in a while. The recorded
result was definitely a macro, to my mind. There was a time when
we were apt to load some larger routines onto keys, such as the
multi-function DIR.PGM -- also I think by Ernie -- which I still
have in a couple .SGT collections. (I have a vast library of
this stuff, going way back, in case this List keeps an archive
somewhere.) Later, such methods fell out of favor, with .U2
frames having emerged as the most elegant solution.

Jordan