Re: In with the New

Re multi-file stuff:
I've written similar programs for XYIII, inlcuding a search/replace over files
selected in a directory (with the CI command, unfortunately; no confirmations
allowed). Nathan, you may want to reconsider "small" in your designation.
Sometimes even the smallest ideas can yield very large programs if you add
user input loops, error handling, display controls, and the like. I started my
XPL career with a small program that eventually grew to 16K--and a great deal
of it was error handling!

Another class of programs, maybe what you had in mind, consists of the quick-
and-dirty variety in which the user is expected to control the entrance and
exit conditions, display mode, file reading and creation, etc. Those can be a
lot smaller.

A good idea: If you submit a program, test it on a variety of files and
conditions, especially ones that you don't normally use. Use it yourself for
several days. I've never *not* had to revise a program (sometimes extensively)
after using it for a while.

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx