Re: OT: Missing Bookmarks

--- On Mon, 1/19/09, Patricia M. Godfrey  wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what your prob;em is, but my FF3 has
> the
> following file:
> c:\Program Files\Mozilla
> Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html

Patricia,

On closer inspection, you will find that that is in fact your bookmark file from FF-2, that got
absorbed into the FF-3 structure. It also will not (itself) contain any bookmarks later than the
day you upgraded; those are actually housed in the SQlite database file, but show up --
superimposed, as it were -- when you do a CTRL-B to call your bookmark file. By performing the
settings hack referenced in one of those articles I provided links for, you force FF-3 to start
doing dual-saves, which *will* appropriately update the old bookmarks file. Then, you will have the
later bookmarks included in that file, such that FF-2 could load them. Call it a re-compatibility,
after the fact. But it's still kind of weird: my bookmark file was 210K before I did this, 150K
after. It all seems to be there, but the math does not add up.

> The weird thing I found was that immediately after
> "upgrading"
> two Webpages that I had frequently accessed appeared to
> have been
> hijacked: one (URL typed in) went to a completely different
> site
>  (while listing the old URL); the other kept sticking a
> "\dotNet" after the typed in URL, then
> generating an error
> message. Both worked two days later.
> --

There are some new built-in features in FF-3. To name one, it scans each download with its own
virus scanner. The way it handles redirected pages _may_ also be different. It definitely is if
you install the NoScript extension.

 Jordan