Re: DOS Emulator

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Thu, 20 Feb 2003
10:01:01 -0800

> mkcompat.exe ...
> I think someone just mentioned the absence of this in W2K (probably NT) and
> later.

This is just compatibility mode. I discussed this, and how to enable it in W2K
SP2+, last April:  http://xywrite.org/msg00571.htm
It's enabled by default in WXP. It's been around for years, in one form or
another. I couldn't discern any difference in the way Xy4DOS ran under W2K, no
matter what OpSys I set compatibility to emulate. To my knowledge, M$ doesn't
state exactly what changes compatibility imposes on the machine; but I'd be
surprised if it alters the way the screen refreshes in a desktop window (that's
a low level video routine). If anybody experiments with it, with particular
attention to this screen refresh issue, please report back. (P.S.: TweakUI
and PowerToys aren't going to help -- fuhgeddaboutit.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx