Re:PDFs; a Win9 gotcha

I bit the bullet and got the full version of PDF creator, and it is a
Godsend. I might even be able to do some decent printing from XyDOS,
could I be content with the native Postscript fonts (I tried, many times,
to use that add Postscript font utility that XyQuest had, but it always
locked up for lack of memory). The only problem with the program is that
its default, first option is to create a PDF compatible only with the
earlier versions of Acrobat. And if you use that and have any buit native
Postscript fonts, the results can be pretty tacky. Just remember to
scroll down and use a later version.
	I've just discovered a nice chicken-and-egg problem. Don't ever put
XyWrite in the C:\Program Files folder. The DOS 8-letter name of Program
Files is PROGRA~1. XyWrite, DOS or Win, being a 16-bit app, cannot read
long file names. And even if you set your default soft hyphen character
to be something other than the tilde, XyWrite needs to read the path
(which contains the tilde) BEFORE it can load the defaults.So nothing
beyond EDITOR.EXE gets loaded. Be warned.
Patricia