Re: Re clip will not work on new Windows 98 installation

Robert wrote:
Consider what the DO command can and cannot actually "do". It can run a COM or
EXE executable. It cannot run any of the commands built-in to a command
processor, e.g. DIR or COPY.

Doesn't that suggest the solution?
Inspiration favors the well-prepared mind. I thought of something like
this, but I didn't understand correctly what /c does. I thought it
referenced COMMAND.COM, but your use indicates it means there are arguments
coming. I haven't used DO since the 80s, and I thought it couldn't take
arguments.
DOS/NV/X/Z /C dir *.* /p
 can be replaced by
DO/NV/X/Z COMMAND.COM /C dir *.* /p

_Try_ that exact command under VPC! If it works
Begorrah! It does work. This saves me from making a huge number of changes
in how I operate my email list; I can still operate under Xy + Win98 on the
Mac. I'm eternally grateful.
... in principle, I would NOT use COMMAND.COM, I'd instead
use KMD.EXE
Okay, I have that. And I've made the changes. Now I wonder if I can simply
do a global Change Invisible in the U2 ...

ci ^dos/nv/x/z /c^do/nv/x/z kmd.exe /c^

What they hell, I give that a whirl.
Let me know.
Okay, the results are in: U2 still runs after global change of DOS/nv
(etc.) to DO/nv (etc.). But CLIPW doesn't work. BUT, if I go to a new DOS
window and manually run CLIP.EXE, the transfer of data from CLIP.TXT to the
clipboard goes fine, and subsequent pastes work.
So clearly all that is needed is a DO/nv/x/z CLIP.EXE somewhere, and I can
very likely fix this myself by looking more closely at the clipw frame--as
soon as I get a minute to work on it.
So, by suggesting the DO-for-DOS workaround, you've essentially solved
this, and several other MAJOR problems for me in using VPC-Win98 on the
Mac. Thank you, thank you.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx