Re: doublespacing

Reply to note from Pam Upton  Mon, 6 Jul 1998
10:22:08 -0900 (PDT)

-> > I doubt very much that the intent was to show double-spacing on
-> > screen. If it had been, then why not triple-spacing?
-> > quadruple-spacing? That was just an accidental consequence.
->
-> Actually, no. The lovely thing about the LF=1 default was that
-> it DID show double, triple, quadruple, etc. spacing--whatever
-> you had put into the file as the LS value. It was something
-> that worked purely on the display and had no effect on the
-> printout. I have no idea how it worked and why it didn't carry
-> over to XyDos4 and XyWin, but I miss it!

Right. Func LS toggled between a normal, single-spaced display and
one that recognized the prevailing line spacing, whatever that
happened to be; fractional line spacings were rounded to the nearest
whole number of lines. If I remember correctly, the feature was
added when III became III+, to emulate WordPerfect, which displayed
"true" line-spacing by (immutable!) default.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is simply no way to
duplicate this behavior in Xy4 or XyWin. Evidently the developers
thought that func LS would be rendered obsolete by the editable
WYSIWYG display mode introduced with Xy4 -- a gross overestimate of
that feature's usability. So, it comes down to this: if you
absolutely must have 4th-generation functionality *and* on-screen
line-spacing, use XyWin, which is optimized for WYSIWYG editing. In
the alternative, use Xy4 as your main editor, and keep a copy of
XyWin (or III+) running in the background for occasional use.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/