re HP5 driver

:	I've got the Mac (MP) version of the HP5 printer.
:	It's hooked up via an Apple Talk network to a PowerPC
:	with a DOS compatibility card.

And I have the Mac (MP) version of the HP4 printer. It's hooked up to my
stand-alone 386. The Mac designation has nothing whatever to do with hardware
(CPU or printer). It's strictly for marketing purposes.

PCL, the HP page description language, is the same for MP4 and MP5 printers,
according to my reading. In any event, PCL always has been
backward-compatible; an LJ4 driver should work for an MP5 *when the MP is in
PCL mode*. The MP user switches modes either manually or with HP code (cf HP
documentation or contact HP Tech Support)--code also copied from the system
prompt to whatever port the printer is on, and uses an appropriate driver (I
shudder to think what a driver that did both PDLs would look like). It's not
really a xyWrite matter--probably a good thing since as I understand it the
xyWrite 4 LJ driver isn't user-editable. If I'm wrong about that (I've never
tried my MP with PCL), you may be able to integrate the HP switching code
into your LJ driver FB<. If anyone else uses the printer for PS, switching
back to PS mode with HP code in the driver's FE< would be a courtesy.

:	So to get at the Type 1 fonts via XyWrite is no simple matter.

Register any Type 1 fonts that aren't present in whatever xyWrite PS driver
you use. XyWrite afaIk doesn't dl Type 1 fonts: With xyDOS, dl nonresident
fonts from the system prompt:
	copy c:\psf\%1 LPT1
where %1 is the name of a .pfa file (from a loop in my downloader batch file,
which is called by a front end batch file that lists font names). If you load
xyWrite from a batch file you could load Type 1 fonts there too. Sorry, I
don't do networks. With xyDOS, a stand-alone PC, an MP, and--most
important--familiarity with all components, unless you're DOSphobic getting
at Type 1 fonts via xyWrite is a very simple matter. 	--A

========================== annie fisher  nyc