Re: XyWin & bug vs. feature

On 01/16/97 at 05:35 PM,
  pienciak@xxxxxxxx (Pienciak) said (in so many words):

Let's see, first Annie, whose use of sarcasm as a deadly scapel is highly
developed, objects to Robert's sarcasm (Robert's!, who single handedly
offers more good advice, programs and insights in one message than tech
support can muster in a decade. And Robert may find that insulting.) in a
(by the time we get to bottom) disingenuous message. And this, from
someone who got good advice from Robert.

<- program for me. In constrast, we have the ``in your face,
<- upgrade to XY4, stupid'' point of view. But I don't feel
What kind of quotes are those? No one said that. Lots of people,
including me, offered the alleged to be perfectly OK "personal testimony"
about our own transition to 4. And yes, I found it relatively painless
(and I had a very customized system, thank you.) and well worth partly for
the greatly increased power and ease of printing. PRECISELY the problem
that Peinciak was querying about.

<- task. Over the years I have tweaked XY3 and maybe that is why getting
<- XY4 to run exactly like XY3 is proving to be difficult.
<- Perhaps an XY3 user who left everything in default would
<- have an easier go but I--so far--have not been able to get
<- the margins and the pages and the chapters and the page
<- lengths to print out exactly the same.
Perhaps. But here's a user who didn't and I didn't have a problem. So now
we have what, a stalemate? You're having a problem, I didn't. Gee, maybe
I'm lying so as cause you trouble.

 And there is all this extra
<- stuff--do i want the left margin to show on the screen, does the part of
<- the page--top, bottom, and
<- sides--that cannot be printed on count as part of the
<- margins. STARTUP.INT sure doesn't look the same. It has all sorts of
<- weird looking codings.
You're kidding, right?

 <- printing tables and I cannot get Italics to work. If I bring documents
<- over from 3 just to print in 4, I sure don't want to have to go into
<- each file and redo the italicized words with menus and buttons.
≪MDIT≫

<- simplicity is gone......Even if I eventually find solutions to all of
<- these quirks, it is important to state that going from XY3 to XY4 is
<- nowhere near as simple as *hey, just make the switch already.* That is
<- bull. And no one should believe it for a minute.
Believe what? Your strawperson isn't here.

There are many reasons
<- why people have chosen to stay with 3+ and a fear of change is not at
<- the top of the list.

I know I didn't say that. I'm pretty sure no one else did. You seem
addicted to strawpersons.

--
                     Regards,
                     David