Windows stuff re running Xy

Rene wrote:
I too would love to get rid of the stupid Windows flags during boot and exit.
However, in my MSDOS.SYS file, I do not see any "logo" entry.
Can I insert it? There is a warning in the file not to change its size.
Tia

Yes, call MSDOS.SYS in XyWrite and add
Logo=0
at the bottom, after all the xxxxxxx's. I think you may need one blank line (just a carriage return) at the end of the file--if one is there already, keep it.

Another good addition to MSDOS.SYS is
AutoScan=0
This prevents Scandisk from running automatically whenever you crash and have to hit the power switch to shut down and reboot.
Put the line in the {options} section, which is near the top of MSDOS.SYS.
I recently learned that some versions of Windows (I have 98) have a program called: msconfig.exe which provides a pretty interface for changing what gets loaded (from the dreaded Registry, I think) at startup. I don't think it changes msdos.sys, but it is good to know about.
BTW, in answer to the original question about how to get Xy to load at
startup--forgive me if you know this already, but you may just need to add
a shortcut to editor.exe in your Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Startup folder.
I do that, and always have Xy waiting on my taskbar, just a mouse-click or
alt-Tab away.
Oh, and another Good Idea is to have the startup folder contain an icon for
the MSDOS prompt, so that you can use the good ol' C:> prompt to do things
instead of using Explorer or such. I always have MSDOS and Xy both there on
the taskbar. And there's no problem in running two (or more) Xy sessions at
once, by going to the C:> prompt and typing "Editor."
Okay, one more thing--and this is the last, I promise. I couldn't live
without the 418 byte (not kilobyte or megabyte or gigabyte--just byte)
program "WHEREIS.COM" to find files on my harddrive. I have shortened the
name to WHERE.COM and am attaching it to this email. (It is NOT a virus--I
doubt it could be at only 418 bytes.) Example of usage:

C:>where ed*.*
That will locate your editor.exe and any other file beginning with "ed." It's fast and clean. Put it in any directory on your PATH (e.g., the root directory) and enjoy.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx