Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

Howdy all,

Just to clarify things, let me reiterate that I am dealing with two bugs, as follows:

1. Clip crashes. As I said yesterday, UNICOWS.DLL is installed. The crashes do not come very often,
but every once in awhile CLIP crashes before it can insert anything into the clipboard. In fact, the
crash somehow clears the clipboard as well, since it is empty after the crash and I know it should
have had something in it.

Robert noted that "higher order characters" can trigger an error, but the emails I have
been sending are all plain ASCII text.

My only thought might be that CLIP has a conflict with one of my other programs. The biggest suspect
is my email program Eudora, which checks for new mail every ten minutes. Could it be that CLIP has a
problem working when Eudora is doing this?

2. Capslock lock-up. As suggested by Robert Holmgren, I did some debugging this morning, going down
my startup.int file until the lock-up occurred. Not surprisingly, the lock-up didn't happen until I
loaded my Xy4.kbd file. Since the lock-up can be cleared by pressing my XTRA control key, which is
an additional keyboard table, ie TABLE=XTRA and TABLE=XTRA+CASS (CASS is my CAPS table renamed) in
the keyboard file, I think this test shows that the problem is there.

I would be glad to forward my Xy4.kbd file to anyone interested in looking at it see if they can
find the problem. As I said the other day, I have combed through it carefully and am at a loss.

Robert also suggested putting a virtual Capslock toggle in my startup.int file. How does one do
this?

Also, I am curious how long it normally takes for CLIP to work. When it functions correctly on my
machine, it usually takes about a two or three seconds. Is that typical? (My machine is 850mhz, by
the way.)

Bob
See my books and essays at:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3cxxp/zimbib.htm