Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

** Reply to message from Bob Zimmerman  on Sat, 25 Feb 2006
11:23:21 -0500

> 1. Clip crashes. As I said yesterday, UNICOWS.DLL is installed. The crashes do
> not come very often, but every once in awhile CLIP crashes before it can insert
> anything into the clipboard. In fact, the crash somehow clears the clipboard as
> well, since it is empty after the crash and I know it should have had something
> in it.

Move UNICOWS.DLL to C:\WINDOWS. A cleared clipboard signals that Clip is
crashing on the Unicode translation of characters (even if there are no
characters to translate -- if it is all plain Ascii 32-126 text -- they still
pass through the Unicode filter). I can't rule it out, but I doubt that it is
a conflict with other programs. Either Clip.exe can't find the DLL, *or* Win9x
is just plain creaky in its handling of Unicode. I have very little experience
here.

OK, send me your KBD file privately. Let's look at that first. BTW, are you
using an external keyboard? Have you remapped the key locations in hardware?
I.e. swapped CapsLock and Alt keys, or moved the location of Ctrl? Refresh my
memory: this is a notebook or a desktop?

Clip processing time varies with the size of the clipped text. A paragraph is
nearly instantaneous (on a 1Mhz machine). Half a million bytes takes a few
seconds. Every character passes through a filter. If you're working with
Windows apps, this is a huge help. BTW, are you mostly clipping from Windows
to XyWrite, or v.v.?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx