Re: the same old IBM/Lexmark keyboards

At 02:28 PM 5/29/99 -0700, you wrote:
>My 1990 Zeos keyboard, which I've kept through successive computer
>changes, has 12 function keys down the left side.

Funny, my 1990 Zeos keyboard, though pretty good, had function keys along
the top.

Whenever I think I'm computer-ignorant, which is very often, I try to
console myself by comparing others who are even more ignorant than I. My
1990 self, for example. Not knowing that one could remap keys other than
within Xy, I paid a pile of dosh to Northgate (including FedEx) for a
keyboard with Ctrl next to A, as god intended. This Northgate keyboard
happened to have function keys on the left, which got me hooked.

>Zeos, then a leading mail-order source, seems to
>have evaporated while I wasn't watching.

Zeos itself started off as a breakaway from Northgate. (Perhaps Zeos was
headed by a dissatisfied but rich Northgate employee; I forget.) It later
merged with or was gobbled up by Micron.

Peter Evans