Re: Nota Bene

As one quite familiar with XYDOS, XYWIN, and NBWIN, I would say
that you are better off with the third than the second. First, if
you are using a Windows program, you want one that is compatible
with Windows, and NBWIN is more so. For instance, it is important
to me to be able to use the Windows clipboard, because I use a
utility with it that saves everything cut or copied, and permits
fancy insertions. Second and most important, it is a live
program, while XYWIN is an engaging dead one, with no support and
no future development. Third, if you do professional writing, its
built-in styles and other amenities are valuable. Fourth, some of
its features are clearly more advanced. For instance, as you view
a file, page cross-references in it show the page.

I have had no freezing whatever with NB. I am now using a
pivoting LCD monitor, a delightful amenity and now fairly
reasonable in price. XYDOS opens sideways in portrait mode, XYWIN
freezes in portrait mode, but NB works perfectly.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science