Re: Search switches

Reply to note from David Auerbach  Fri, 27
Nov 1998 09:20:33 -0500

-> <- I can understand the value of /w (especially but not solely
-> in change <- commands) and will start using it at once; but
-> does /t have any <- advantage over CTL+home followed by a
-> conventional search comman
->
-> If the thingum isn't found then you are where you were, which
-> might be where you want to be. And, in the case of a change,
-> there you are where you want to be.

The problem with issuing this command manually is, when the first
thingum you find isn't the thingum you want, you have to remove the
"/t" to continue to search forward. It's a pain. I think the
utility of /t is mainly in XPL, where it removes the need to save
the cursor position, TF, SEarch, and JMP back to original CP if
there's an error. I wonder, though, does /t work reliably when the
cursor is near the end of a very long file? I haven't tested, but
wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. Restoring CP in very big files
can be problematic. (I'm talking about XPL here.)

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/its.html