OT: edit uneditable PDF file

Maybe someone who knows can give me a quick answer on
this. PDFs are supposed to be locked down, such that
they can't be edited. I take it then that you
probably can't print one to a file, do some *very*
minor editing on it with Xy or a Hex editor (in this
case, change a couple of dates mentioned in the text),
and then print out the edited version ? Or might that
actually work ?

I do have GhostScript, btw, but have only used it for
display purposes . . . in case it does anything more
than that. I've heard of Poor Man's Distiller, which
I think was supposed to be the freeware alternative to
the full, $$, create / edit PDFs version of Acrobat,
but have never seen it.

Jordan