Re: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

Harry Binswanger  wrote:
the footnotes had not been put in automatically with Word's
autonumber facility.<<

Even if they had been, how would you have rearranged the actual notes,
as opposed to their numbers? Word has a footnote/endnote function,
doesn't it? (Yes, I know it does, though I've never used it). And a
couple of people reported here in 11/04 that Xy footnotes go over to
RTF, and thence to Word, correctly through the conversion filters or
U2's Save to RTF function. So why on earth not write the thing in Xy,
then convert? Esp. since Xy's footnote capability is head and shoulders
above any other app's?
Dumb reason: it was, in its early incarnation, an article, only existing in
print. So I had to scan it. The HP scanning software offers the option of
reading it into Word as editable text. So that's what I picked. The
software doesn't recognize footnotes as footnotes. It treated them as
numbers. Not even superscripted numbers.
one, at least you'll see that they're out of sequence. But if you just
have an autonumber in the text, and the note is someplace else, the note
number will re-sequence, but will now refer to the wrong note.
That was one of the things I was prepared to check for--i.e., that each
endnote matched the right fn number. But the damn fn numbers themselves
needed changing, and they were hardcoded. In XPL, I could have written a
trivial routine: find the next number, ask user if he wants it incremented,
if so, increment it by one. But then surely Visual Basic for Word can do
this, no?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx