RE: FW: Anchored files

Thanks Bill. I sent your reply to Alice. Although I had reaction somewhat akin to Carl's. There was a slight odor of
rudeness in her question...I guess a sort of rebuke for being associated with,

1. A non-Mac OS, and
2. An evil application which hurt her precious machine.

_Brian H.

P.S...Yes Carl, I was pretty sure Xy had nothing to do with her problems, but there's so much I
don't know that I had to
ask (and I know next to nothing about Macs). And I figured there was some small entertainment value
in posting her
question.

-----Original Message(s)-----

Carl D. wrote:

>She's running a PowerMac. ZPRF is probably a Mac filetype, possibly
>related to the AppleWorks program suite.

Bill T. wrote

ZPRF is a ZipIt file type. That's a Mac zip/unzip utility. I suppose it is
just possible that this person has Virtual PC, actually installed XyWrite
using Zip files, etc. etc. Many bad things can happen to Mac file
names/types if the system isn't regularly maintained or if there is an
unexpected shutdown. It is possible that this person actually attempted to
install and may even have run XyWrite on a Mac. But, as we all know,
"Secret ZWT Prefs." can't have anything to do with XyWrite. I think it far
more likely has to do with the ZipIt program which, as I recall, was not
particularly well-coded. She would do better to contact the DiskWarrior
people. DiskWarrior is, by the way, considered to be by far the best Mac
disk maintenance utility by TechServe, well-known in NYC as the best place
to go for Mac software and hardware repairs.