Re: Unloading

At 09:16 AM 1/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On 01/27/97 at 04:51 AM,
>  Harry Binswanger  said (in so many words):
>
><- Is there a way in Xy4Dos to unload stuff from memory? The command
><- "unload pers.spl" generates no error message, but does it do anything
><- (I don't trust Xy's memory reporting under ME).
>
>I *think* not. The command is there for backward compatibility and the
>memory info screen is there to confuse (inform?) people, but Xy4 happily
>swaps stuff in and out of memory quite on its own (dynamically as they
>say). Now for things like the spl files and prn files (as opposed to
>functional modules of the executable) the you can either load a different
>one (which shoves out the old one)
Yes, but does it do it cleanly, if the new .spl is smaller or null, is the
old one really removed?
> or "append" a different one using the
>+ syntax. (have you actually tried "unload pers.spl" and then attempted
>a abbreviation expansion that's in your pers.spl. that should tell the
>story.

You know that idea came to me just as I was uploading the query. I'm trying
it now ...
Jesus! It doesn't work at all. I created a one sentence file with the "word"
Arghlnptfs in it, loaded dict.spl+pers.spl, then did the spell command and
it, naturally, flagged Arghlnptfs
--at which point I told it to add that "permanently" (i.e., to pers.spl).
Then I gave the command unload pers.spl followed by spell and it didn't flag
it! And, yes, I did move the cursor back to top of file before issuing the
spell command.

What to do?

Regards,
Harry