XyWrite Windows

From: Mike McConkey To: SysOp Subj: XyWrite Windows Bugs

I received and installed my copy of XyWrite Windows two days ago. My first
impression was, "This is great!" I now have a really good editor in windows.
However, I am now getting worried.

Since I use Xyw mostly for assembly language code editing, I set draft mode as
as default. Changing to graphics view, when I need it, is apparently almost
impossible. For example, I loaded the file SEVEN.DOC, which comes with Xyw, and
then selected veiw graphics. I then got a protection violation dialog box.
Once I was able to clear it with 7 or 8 clicks, but mostly I must reboot the
computer. This happens every time. The message looks different from what I
sometimes (rarely) get from windows, so I wonder if it is generated by XyWrite,
rather than windows. This file, with no formatting switches modes just fine.

Another problem is related to copying selected text between windows. To get my
custom Save-Gets, and Keyboard into XyWin, I opened Xwstart.int and my Xyw4
startup.int to do some editing. I tiled the windows and began. First I
selected text in Startup.Int. Then I clicked in the window for Xwstart.int
where I wanted to insert the new text. Then I typed CTRL-C to copy. Imagine my
shock when the original contents of the XwStart.int window disappeared and was
replace by a few characters of random garbage! This was repeatable. The only
variation was that sometimes I also got protection violation messages. If I
changed windows with F6, and moved to the insertion point with cursor keys, no
problem. Once again, a pure text file behaves OK.

Since I mostly need XyWrite for code editing, which is pure text, these
problems will not interfere with my daily work -- much. I can always use my
copy of AMIPro when I care how text looks. SIGH!

On another note, is there any way to prevent the insertion of the default style
formatting into every NEW file? Since I often want pure text, I must earase
these, and it's a bother.

Is there any way to select a different (fixed pitch of course) font or a
different font size for draft modes? I have a 17" monitor and would like to
see more lines of text on the screen in draft. Also, I would like to be able
to see 120 char lines without horizontal scrolling. I could do this in XYWr4,
thanks to Ultravision.

                         Thanks, Mike McConkey