Little things

So the monitor to my daughter's computer blew. She rebooted. Still
nothing and she proceeded to call a store to order a new one -- spoiled
little scion; she didn't even curse or get upset. Just picked up the
phone to order a new one. I was asleep but, "Daddy, can I charge seven
hundred dollars on your credit card?" opened my eyes like I had never
fallen asleep. I shuffled into her room (hacking my way through the
mess with machete and compass) only to notice the 8-socket surge
protector hooked to the 'puter and printer had the hair blower, stereo,
t.v., and industrial sun lamp all hooked up into it because she ran out
of wall sockets and I concluded the sun lamp (which dims the lights in
the house when it's on) blew out the monitor (or something as I know
nothing about electricity 'cept that it kills). With great authority I
jiggled some wires. Nada. I removed the monitor's casing and changed
the little fuse. Booted and the monitor fired right up crisp as you
please. She said, rather impressed, "No sh*t?" (Without the asterisk.)
I said, "I should charge you fifty dollars for the service call." She
said, "Why? You just saved seven hundred." Still half asleep (though
thinking about the philosophers on this board), I had no comeback for
that and went back to sleep.

Conclusion: A couple/three dollars fuse may be all your monitor needs.
Know where the fuse is and have a spare or if you bring the monitor into
a shop before phoning for a new one, do make sure they check the fuse;
perhaps in your presence (some repair people are unscrupulous) so you
don't wind up buying a new monitor when all it was was a little fuse.