Re: Backup: Portable solution

Various vendors of hardware, for instance Megahaus, sell
removable cartridges into which you can put *any* hard drive you
want. This is a *very* inexpensive means of storing full backups.
You can always exactly duplicate the make and capacity of the
drive in your computer. All you need is one cartridge, although
it would be smart, and still immensely less expensive than Jaz
etc., to alternate two.

I am fed up with my CD-RW, partly because it is much slower than
a hard drive, and partly because the software that lets you treat
it like a drive is really crummy--the source of endless glitches,
unusable copies, and GPF's. This is true of the SONY Spressa
software that comes with my drive, and of the Easy Creator
software that is now being heavily promoted.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science