Screen scrolls off to left

I'm trying to do the comparison of two files in two iterations of Xy. One
of the many difficulties is that when I return from updating Xy 2 to Xy 1,
the display has scrolled almost off screen to the left, so that only a few
characters at the far left off the text are visible, the rest being
scrolled off to the right. I can't fix this by putting in a cursor
movement, because the cursor needs to stay where it is (to mark where the
two files differ).
Does anyone know how either to prevent this horizontal scrolling (its not a
windows-type scroll, no scroll bars appear, the window stays as is) or to
compensate for it?
I suppose I could store cursor position then go line-begin and back, but
that would be difficult in the context I'm working in.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx