Re: Solving Win7/XP/3.1 issues ONE/PS

On 10/16/2013 12:38 PM, J R FOX wrote:
 > But if you want to use XyWrite in a 32-bit Windows environment, you
 > should consider VirtualBox running W2K which is more robust than
 > VirtualPC 2007.

Kari,

I think you mentioned that there was no LPT1 support in Virtualbox.
(Perhaps there is in VMWare ?) I don't think I would want to go the
route of network printing for this setup, which is not for me but for a
user who needs things to be as simple and transparent as possible. How
would this "shared folder" approach work ? Save the files there, for
printing by a non-VM app, using the Windows print facilities ?

Jordan,
Last year, when I purchased a new box with Windows 7 (64 bit), I first installed an LPT card so I could print to my 10-year-old HP 4p printer via its parallel port. Once I got that working, I simply installed a copy of Win XP inside VMWare Player (the free one -- you don't need the Workstation edition). Along the way it installed its utilities so that the Win XP system could use the network and printer connections of the Windows 7 host. I have never had a problem with this setup in about 15 months. It's simple, cheap, and reliable. Give it a try. If you don't like it you can remove it all in about 2 minutes.

Best regards,

William TeBrake
UMaine History Emeritus