Re: Solving Win7/XP/3.1 issues ONE/PS

> But if you want to use XyWrite in a 32-bit Windows environment, you
> should consider VirtualBox running W2K which is more robust than
> VirtualPC 2007.

Kari,

I think you mentioned that there was no LPT1 support in Virtualbox.  (Perhaps there is in VMWare ?)  I don't think I would want to go the route of network printing for this setup, which is not for me but for a user who needs things to be as simple and transparent as possible.  How would this "shared folder" approach work ?  Save the files there, for printing by a non-VM app, using the Windows print facilities ?

I had already installed XP Mode to this laptop, and demonstrated that ver. 1.0 of PS Elements would run that way.  This gave hope for some other older Win-32 apps that also would not even install into W7 x64.  If Virtualbox is as capable, and can run Xy in a decent sized window, that might just be the ticket.  Even if I have to undo the work I was already starting to do with XP Mode and start over.  I hope the setup and operation of Virtualbox is not much more complicated than what I saw with XP Mode.

Is there some particular version of Vbox to get ?  I thought they changed ownership at some point.  And don't you need a W2K install CD + license, for this scenario ?  That might not be such a big problem -- other than *finding where you may still have it*  -- but it would definitely be more work.  (Even if there was some acceptable, packaged ISO image of it floating around.)  I'm also thinking that due to the antiquated nature of W2K, there are likely some serious security issues, and one may need to take steps to insure that this VM has no contact with the internet ?

  Jordan