Outliner

Manuel, et al.,
Okay, here is a zip file, OUTLINER.ZIP, which unzips to give two encoded programs: COLLAPSE.ENC and EXPAND.ENC.
Use the U2 decoder on the two .ENC files to produce: EXPAND.PGM and
COLLAPSE.PGM.

Two important notes:
1. Since the top level of your outline should have no taps before its Roman numeral I, or whatever you use for the top level, you need to precede each with ≪IV≫, with a guillemet for the ≪ and the ≫, as in:

≪IV≫I. Introduction
≪IV≫II. Main development
≪IV≫III. Conclusion
For all the further levels of indent, use only tabs, making sure there are no spaces before or between them. The first time you run either program, it will put in all the necessary ≪IV≫s.
Included in OUTLINER.ZIP is TEST.ENC, which when decoded will show you a
test file set up as it should be. You don't have to use the I,A,1,a
system--the program is unconcerned with what follows the tabs.
2. These programs operate on the whole file at once--they collapse or
expand the whole file. I wanted to give you the option to DeFine a block
which would then collapse or expand separately, and I coded it that way,
but it doesn't work, so the program now simply cancels any define you may
have set. If expanding/collapsing only a block is important to you, I might
be willing to work further to include this feature. But no promises. Okay,
one: if you don't like the cancellation of any existing DeFine, I can take
that out and adjust the programs accordingly.
In my testing, these programs work regardless of however much text and
carriage-return-line-feeds are placed under any or all headings. But don't
use tabs in that text; ≪IP5,0≫ is okay (as far as I know--haven't test that).
Oh, and in this version of the programs, I make no assumptions about any
"deltas" you have in the file--other than ≪IV≫ which they SEarch for.
Don't show these programs to Carl or Robert: they don't conform to Good
Programming Practice.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx