Re: Salvage on rebooting

Department of Probably Superfluous Amplification:

A few days ago, I wrote that if I had a crash and bailed out with Ctrl+Alt+Del I
couldn't get a prompt asking whether to save the file(s) then open onscreen. I
should have said that the problem was specifically with "Protection Violation"
crashes; and I wasn't distinguishing between the prompt and the actual save.

Harry Binswanger pointed out that
>You have to have the right key assignment in your .kbd file.
>Go to table=ctrl+alt, find key 83 and set it to:
>83=EX

I did/do have "83=EX" in CTRL+ALT; but Harry's response got me to test the whole
thing again.

(1) The rescue does work: I hadn't known where to look for the saved file, which
turns up in the \XW\ directory, under a gibberish filename.

(2) However, I don't get a prompt: the saved file is created automatically and
the reboot proceeds. That's no big deal, however, since the saved file isn't
overwriting anything.

Cheers,

Eric Van Tassel