Re: Using Xy to dial your phone

Hi

20 years ago I also dialed the phone from the computer. I used a simple batch file
and I could call it from XyWrite also. Note there is no need to set any port setting
such as baud rate etc...

The batch file was something like the following (not I have just typed this in from
memory here, and not tested it)

@echo off
if %1x==x goto help
goto start
:help
echo usage: Dial name
goto end
:start
set dialstring = "ATDT"
goto %1

:Joe
set number = 123-4567
goto dial

:fred
set number = 876-5476
goto dial

:dial
echo dialling %1 at %number
echo %dialstring %number > com2
echo lift handet and press any key
pause
:end

so from a dos prompt
>dial joe
 would send atdt123-4567 to com port 2 and that is all that is needed to dial using a
modem

Note that the numbers are actually stored in the batch file.

The technique relies on the piping ability of DOS to send anything to any port. I
don't know if that still works. It should.

from XyWrite I spawned the batch file with something like
do command dial ≪put saveget≫ /c
or was it
do command /c dial ≪putsaveget≫ - I can't remember... (and no longer care!)

Later I made a simpler batch file that took the number to be dialed as a parameter.
Then from within XyWrite I spawned to a batch file that opened the database (askSam)
that held my phone numbers with the search string of the person I wanted to call, the
database would display matching hits and write an ASCII file to disk with the
selected number, then return to the batch file, which would then run the dialing
batch which picked up the ASCII file with the number and threw that at the com port.
Worked like a charm for years.

Dale
http://ebay.mixmox.com

(BTW the 10MB Bernoulli disks I am selling at
http://debale.home.comcast.net/ebay/special.htm were used by Dave Erickson for
backing up the source code of XyWrite! but of course I have removed the source code
so now they are museum pieces only)

:end