RE: Xywrite -- missed chance

Hmmm... I'd love to see a UNIX/Linux version of XyWrite.

The problem is, XyWrite was originally written for assembly language,
for Intel machines (and clones) using 16-bit MS-DOS. Transforming
it into a 32-bit (or 64-bit) version which would live happily in
a multiple-user and possibly multiple-processor environment on
everything from I386 to IBM mainframes would not be a simple job.
It'd likely have to be re-written from scratch in C++.

And a lot of issues would have to be decided up front: should it be
a console-based program (i.e., run just as it did in DOS), or moved
to X-Windows?  If the latter, should it cooperate with Gnome or KDE,
or simply be an independent X-application? What mechanism would be
used to import figures and links to other applications, etc? Should
a ported XyWrite continue to have a macro language, and how compatible
should it be with those used in Xy3 / Xy4?  Should a ported XyWrite
be compatible with files generated in MS-DOS system, or be based on
document mark-up languages (SGML, DocBook) which are still evolving?

And finally, would an "Open Source XyWrite" continue to look and act
like the thing we already know and love, or would it morph into just
another Word-clone, like most other open source word processors (or
even worse, become a Vi or emacs clone)?