DOS 5 Manual

I agree with you that they did a good job on the manual. For the first
time, I believe, the DOS manual is something a newcomer to computers
can go straight through and get all the fundamentals down reasonably
well: directories, subdirectories, kinds of files, commands, switches,
etc.
 Have you noticed all the "features" they incorporated which were
really nifty utilities various other innovaters added over the years to
make DOS human. I refer to things like the DOSSHELL and DOSKEY, which
is a knockoff of the PC Mag "alias" program.
 Curiously, the DOSSHELL program does a lot of what WINDOWS is
supposed to do. It even lets you run two programs at once (like BACK &
FORTH, CAROUSEL, etc).