Re: OS/2 & Cyrix

PMYG@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Windows platform would run them. What is the name of this emulator?

  Wabi, wine, dosemu, bochs.

> Unix environments have you run this emulator on? What processor,

  Solaris and Linux -- or rather, Wabi on Solaris, the other 3 on
linux, but wabi is available for linux as well, and bochs -- still beta
-- should work on any unix. Bochs, BTW, is not just an emulator, but
actually creates a virtual machine -- meaning you can run loser95, NT,
os/2, etc under unix. Wine, a windoz emulator for linux is coming along
quite well, you can now run (some) loser95 and NT apps under linux, as
well as windoz apps.

system
> speed, and RAM size? I'd appreciate any info, because we are purchasing more

  The Sun Sparc 20 I run wabi on has dual cpus of around 150mhz each
(can't recall exactly) and 256meg of RAM, 24gig drive space. Windoz apps
definitely run faster than any other machine I've ever seen. The linux
machine is a Cyrix 166 with 32meg RAM and dosemu running dos apps and
geos are just as fast as under dos, windoz apps under wine seem to be
just as fast as under dos, certainly Coreldrw starts up faster under
linux/wine than starting windoz and then coreldrw under dos, or starting
winos2 and then coreldrw under Warp4.
  XYDos runs great under dosemu, don't have xywin, so can't tell you
about that, but wordperfect runs great under wabi and wine.
  Don't know why you're finding Sofwindows so slow -- I thought the
later versions had a 486-66 card with it? Anyway, another way of doing
all this is to use Winframe or NTrigue, which run all the
dos/windoz/95/nt apps over on a NT server, and allows the unix or javaos
clients on your network to call them up -- that's what we're going to be
doing on our new JavaOS network. You can get WabiServer also, to run on
Solaris, and feed windoz apps to your unix clients.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx http://www.dibbs.net/~hseaver
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the