Re: Reverse-order printing [Was: Printers/XyWrite 3+/OS2 v

At 07:10 PM 1/12/97 +0900, you wrote:

>Robert Holmgren:
>>Look, you've got a problem, and the upgrade resolves it. That's what
>>upgrades are for. Do it and get it over with.
>
>Uh, is switching from from III+ to IV really just a matter of
>"doing it and getting it over with"? What about all the converting
>and changing? Why does IV come with a whole booklet called "making the
>transition"? And what about those IV bugs that are mentioned ever
>so often on this list?
>
>Just asking... if you convince me that it is really just a matter
>of a simple "upgrade", I too might (after years) take if off the
>bookshelf and install it.

Although I sent to this list an XPL pgm for Xy3+ to solve the reverse
printing problem, I agree that Xy4 is worth the change. I'm as loath to
relearn software as the next guy, but the required work is really not much.
And you can hit the ground running, in the sense that you will be able to
use Xy4 right away, if you use your old .kbd file not the Xy4.kbd that comes
with. But even there, gradually, you will see things in Xy4.kbd that you'll
want to add to your old .kbd file, though on keys that make sense with the
.kbd file you already have.

I spent a few weeks using both Xy3 and Xy4, so that in a pinch I could
always turn back to Xy3. But I soon forgot all about Xy3. You can use both
because one of Xy4's nice little features is that you can name its
startup.int file something else. I named mine start4.int, so I didn't have
the problem of the two different pgms having to use the same startup file.
From the DOS prompt, you enter:
editor ,start4.int
assuming the paths are in order.

I also took all my pgm files and .kbd files, etc., and made copies with "4"
in their names to indicate they were to be called by Xy4, so that as I was
experimenting with making the (tiny) changes optimizing them for Xy4, I
wasn't losing the versions I had working with Xy3.

Give it a whirl.

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@aynrand.org