Conversion from Xywrite 3.55 to Word

Yo Gang,

John Paul Newport recently asked the exact question I was also about to ask:
how does one convert from Xywrite (I use 3.55) to Microsoft Word? Though
most of the magazines I write for like getting the pure ASCII files I can
send them from Xywrite, my book publisher would like me to convert the book
to Word.

I am aware of the filters described on

http://idt.net/~holmgren/FILTERS.HTM
and
http://idt.net/~holmgren/PRNFILES.TXT

for conversion. On those pages it says:

>The general principle behind these conversions is a two stage process. Stage 1
>converts source format into a standardized, temporary intermediate format.
Stage 2
>converts from the standard to the target format. The conversion executables are
>sensitized to source and target format versions through user-supplied "/V#"
switches,
>e.g. "/V1".
>
>Here are sample conversion commands:
>
>Suppose you want to Export from Xy3+ to AmiPro 2.0 (3.0?). First issue this
command
>from DOS, to create an intermediate temp file:
>
>---------------------
>W4W17F.EXE ThreePlus_source_filename /N /V1
> then generate the AmiPro result:
>W4W33T.EXE AmiPro_target_filename /N /V1
>---------------------
>
>If you want to Import to Xy3+, simply flip the process. Note that Xy4 plays
no part in
>this conversion.

I, however, am only a helpless writer and need additional help. What is the
/N switch? Is there a help file to explain the above switches and commands?
Or can someone explain them to me? Does one always use the W4W17F.EXE
filter to convert from Xy3+ to the intermediate temp file, and what is the
filter to convert that temp file to a Word target file?

Nathan Sivin's most recent email on this subject has only confused me. He
referred to Microsoft Rich Text files (*.rtf) as well as the filters

>W4W05F.EXE and w4w05T.EXE for Word, and W4W19F.EXE and W4W19T.EXE for RTF;
the Windows >versions are DLL instead of EXE.

Why two files for Word? This doesn't seem fit with Robert Holmgren's
instructions above.

Help! I think I understand this, but we all know that a little knowledge is
a dangerous thing.

Bob Zimmerman

Bob Zimmerman
28-19 42nd Street, #D-1