Re: executable XyWrite hyperlink in Excel?

** Reply to message from sacksa@xxxxxxxx on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:13:56 -0500

> I am able to get Windows to recognize all files of XyWrite type
> because all of my XyWrite-created files have only one of three possible
> file extensions...
> ... clicking on the hyperlink in Excel or on the XyWrite file in
> Windows Explorer will only open XyWrite. It will not open the file. I am
> assuming that because XyWrite requires that files be opened from the
> command line, it is not possible to open the file merely by clicking the
> link in Excel. Is this correct?

No. The extension recognition scheme depends upon proper ASSOCiations and
FileTYPEs. You don't mention your three dedicated XyWrite extensions, nor your
OpSys; I assume some version of NT (4, 2K, XP). Here's an example, using
extensions ".XY" and ".XYW" (note the replaceable parameter "%1",
which is
probably what you're missing):

 ASSOC .xy=XyWrFile
 ASSOC .xyw=XyWrFile
 FTYPE XyWrFile=d:\path\EDITOR.EXE %1

You can manage these ASSOCiations and FTYPEs with My Computer ==> Tools ==>
Folder Options ==> File Types ==> Advanced, but it's a clumsy and dumb
interface -- much easer to do it via two DOS commands as above.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx