PHONE PROBLEMS

 Distinguish three problems: 1) persistent noise on line. This I believe (but
can't know for sure) is due to the equipement at your central exchange being
outdated (why not simply ask your local phone company what kind of switching
machine the 667 central exchange has?) 2) the getting kicked off line (loss of
carrier) I complained about yesterday. That I think is *my* problem: I have two
phone numbers, and one of them has all kinds of crackels and pops in it just
now. 3) The problem Robt. Holmgren and I just mentioned--late night non log-on.
This is *not* a phone problem because the communications connection does get
established, your system just doesn't respond at all. Robt. suggested software
problems, and in the past Chris has said something about forgetting to set
something or other in software for weekends!
  By the way, as to long distance service, I use ITT. But I don't get noise
problems making other long-distance modem connections, which says to me that
it's your phone lines.
  No noise at all for me tonite!

  Harry