Re: PDF conversion; footnotes

PDF: This is a problem with Postscript--or at least Postscript of that
era (one assumes Adobe has fixed it since). PS doesn't have a character
for the case fraction ½ (which is 0189 in ISO-Latin/ANSI, by the by);
tilde is octal 176 (I've misplaced my octal-to-decimal conversion tables,
as I haven't had a PS printer in years). See what sort of results you get
(it varies with the font you're using) by creating a case fraction thus:
≪md+su≫1≪md-su≫/≪md+sd≫2≪md-sd≫
if it looks halfway decent, you can either load it to a save-get or put
it in as a substitution in your printer file (but I seem to remember that
trying to tweak the PS substitution tables was murder!)
	As for the footnotes that may not stay footnotes, have you tried using
the label function for them? The disadvantage of putting your notes in a
separate file while you're still working on the piece is that the
numbering and sequence can too easily get out of sync. (Believe me, I've
seen it happen, and had to call the discrepancies to the author's
attention when copy editing). I'd suggest trying to break the whole--text
and notes--into more manageable sized pieces.
Patricia