XyWrite 3.55 under Windows XP

I bought my Presario 2100 laptop, and I'm trying to figure out how to run
XyWrite 3.55 under Windows XP.

*Now* I understand what you've been talking about.

I got XyWrite working. I copied my old XyWrite directory, with editor.exe,
into a new XY directory on the laptop. I went to Start|Accessories|Command
Prompt and opened a DOS window. I went into the XY directory, typed editor
ENTER.

I got an error message, "Command Prompt -- editor The system cannot open
COM2 port requested by the application. choose 'close' to terminate the
application." I hit "ignore".

Then I got the same error message for COM4, and I hit ignore.

So then I got XyWrite running in a nice-sized window. Proof of concept.

Here's my question: In Win98, I set up XyWrite with an icon. I can click on
the icon and launch XyWrite. I copied the MS-DOS icon from the start menu,
by clicking the mouse on the icon in the menu, holding the Ctrl key down,
and dragging the icon onto the desktop. Then I set up the icon in the
properties window to launch XyWrite. Finally I changed the picture on the
icon to look like XyWrite.

In Win XP, when I try to copy a DOS icon from the start menu to the
desktop, by holding the control key down and dragging with the mouse, it
doesn't work.

How do you set up XyWrite 3.55 in Win XP?

I don't want to have to go through the start menu every time. I'd like to
be able to have an icon on the desktop and click on it to launch XyWrite
immediately, the way I do with Win98. Is this possible?

I spent about 2 hours searching the Internet, and another hour in the
bookstore trying to find a manual that would tell me. No luck.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019