Re: Typing allergy

Robert opined:
Lord, you can't put every program on a key! Keys are in short supply, programs
are passing numerous.

I've still got two keys left!
 Makes more sense to me to Stack it while you're using
it, then if months go by and you're not programming,
it will work its way out
of the Stack and not clutter your head.

But there have never been non-programming months.
 DeFine the code you want to run,
command RUNCODE, and Done.
Way too long for me. I use alt-d to create XPL from XyBasic and
automatically open the created code in a new window. I chose a nearby key,
alt-e, to store RUNCODE. I.e., I need only type alt-d, alt-e. Hey, that's
the start of DEbug. Unintended benefit.
RUNCODE is great for snippets and demos and little stuff, but it isn't the
all-in-one solution. Importantly with large routines, it adds one-third to the
memory consumed, because RUNCODE reads the entire routine into a single
Save/Get. Since the entire routine is also (always) read into a "Special
Save/Get" (*0005h) and then, during processing, the individual Save/Gets
addressed in the program acquire content, with RUNCODE you now have three
copies in memory (plus the overhead of RUNCODE itself). Thus OOM can loom (Out
Of Memory).
Now, THAT'S, a consideration. Because I get OOM errors a lot with my long
programs (you remember the ones that made you faint dead away).
 For another thing, argument passing is a bit tricky if you load
RUNCODE on a key -- you've got to mind the command line quite vigilantly.
I don't use arguments with the RUN command (except the filename)--what
arguments would I want to use with RUNCODE?
As for "the long-standing aggravation of having to type "run {whatever}.pgm"
while I'm debugging" -- well, I type it once, and I don't find that
aggravating. I type _every_ command once! Then the commands are in the Stack,
at which point you just pop them -- no retyping ever.
All right, all right. I didn't want to admit this, but I don't use your
stack program. I used it long ago, but when Xy4 came out, it said it had a
stack built in (and it does, but a clumsy one). I never put Stack back.
Does it still require stackini (or whatever it was)?
 I also have an
indispensable key that puts the fully-qualified d:\path\filename of the current
file at the current cursor position (CMline or text): U2 routine FN2CM.

Interesting. Thanks.
 And another indispensable key that either puts the CMline into text,
or puts DeFined text on the CMline, depending upon cursor position and DF state: U2 routine PUTDF-CM.
The latter is like the Xy-supplied ctrl-alt-shift-c. But I guess using the
cursor position and DF state makes for more economical use.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx