Re: Looking for XyWrite

Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo  writes:

>Leslie:
>>Ah yes, many hereabouts are inordinately fond of that version,
>>considered by more than one of us to the the word processing equivalent
>>of a '57 Chevy.
>
>Umm... what is a 57 Chevy? I tend to think of XY3 in word processing
>as the equivalent of "the wheel", or "fire".

I, too, would quibble with the word "inordinately." There is a certain
beauty in the simplicity of the earlier versions of many of today's
software products. Edsger W. Dijkstra, in his book _A Discipline of
Programming_, speaks to this problem regarding the increasing complexity
in programming languages:

  When they fell cheated because I just ignore all the bells and
  whistles, I can only answer: "Are you quite sure that all those
  bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so-called
  'powerful' programming languages, belong to the solution set rather
  than to the problem set?"

Russell Lewis