Re: III+ and 95

> <<	Can XyIII+ be used successfully with Windows 95? Our problem
> (and, as I understand it, everyone's problem) is with the necessity to
> hit another key to allow a function key to do its thing (hit F5 and
> nothing happens until you strike some other key). This creates havoc with
> xpl as well. [...] We cannot run III+ in Win3.1 enhanced mode on any
> machine using Netware VLMs. --Rob Perschau / Kansas City Star

If I understand you correctly, it's the Netware VLMs eating up memory
that is preventing you from running XyIII+. If that's correct, then you
should relentlessly pursue the correct Netware file versions that can be
loaded in upper memory, with the help of EMM386 or QEMM 8.1 or some
other talented memory manager. Properly loaded, there will be quite
adequate memory for Xy III+ to load and run in enhanced mode under
Windows 3.1. A far bulkier descendant, Nota Bene with Ibid and Orbis
included, will run that way even on a network. But the Netware files
must be the XMS versions, not the ones that your standard IS folks will
come around and put on your machine.

That's what makes Win95 such a tauntingly attractive alternative--most
everything you need is managed by Windows85 itself, not preloaded as
memory-consuming TSRs. It's just that Win95 has enough complexities of
its own to deal with... But suggestions others have provided to get your
function keys back should solve that problem.

	Dorothy Day

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University