Re: XPL Macro in/on a saveget key

Reply to note from Richard Giering
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:02:43 -0600

-> Is anyone out there knowledgeable concerning any size
-> restriction for XPL macros in/on keys.

Dick:

Do yourself a big favor and move all of your XPL into a U2 help
file! It's easy as pie, and size restrictions, memory limits and
the binary opacity of .SGT files all go out the window -- where they
belong. It's ridiculous to load entire programs into memory when
you can load (via the U2/Help system's automatic indexing procedure)
only the program name and a pointer to its location in the file. A
10K program LDPMed to a key consumes 10 precious kilobytes of scarce
customization memory; loaded as a U2 "frame", it uses less than 20
-- not 20K, but two-zero, twenty, onescore -- bytes! I have 800K of
XPL code in my personal U2 (including the XyWWWeb Jumbo file); total
memory consumed: 14K. How's that for leveraging! And there's no
speed penalty whatsoever -- zero, zilch, zip.

You can have it, too. Install the Jumbo U2 and add your own stuff
at the end. You can assign frames (programs) to keys if you like.
If the program doesn't take an argument, assign it thus:

nn=NOXHJM2,.,p,r,o,g,n,a,m,e,Q2

If it does take an arg, do this:

nn=NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2p,r,o,g,n,a,m,e,COa,r,g,NO

Finito! Arrivederci out-of-mem! Save/Get keys are for transient,
on-the-fly stuff. Everything else should go into U2.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/