Re: Win95 settings solved?

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Myron Gochnauer wrote:

> > > How do I create separate autoexec and config.sys files
> > > for a DOS window or full screen session?
> > Don't you have an autoexec.bat and config.sys in your c:\ directory?
> Yes, I have them, but I'm never dead certain that they are used by
> Win95 for its DOS settings.

You probably have a separate autoexec.dos and config.dos pair in your
root directory, with the settings used when you boot to DOS. Win9x does
a sleight of hand and either 1) backs up the Windows autoexec.bat and
config.sys and copies the DOS versions over, or 2) just uses the DOS
files directly (Win98 may do the latter--I'm not sure).

So--make sure you have both pairs, copying one to the other if
necessary. The .dos versions should have any drivers you need in DOS
but get rem-ed out in the Win versions (mouse, cd-rom, zip guest, etc).
EMS/XMS management tricks can also be included in the config.dos.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."