Re: Win95 settings solved?

Myron Gochnauer wrote:

> > > How do I create separate autoexec and config.sys files
> > > for a DOS window or full screen session?

> > Don't you have an autoexec.bat and config.sys in your c:\ directory?

> Yes, I have them, but I'm never dead certain that they are used by
> Win95 for its DOS settings.

Theoretically, they do. That's as far as I want to take that one. ;-)

> > Here's what I would do: bag the batch file. Just point it to
> > c:\xy4\editor.exe (or whatever directory you keep XyWrite in. See what
> > happens.

> Ha! This time it works perfectly. (I thought I had been unsuccessful
> with this strategy before.)
> The command line (Properties/Program) is:
>  C:\XY4\EDITOR.EXE /e 4096
> Working Directory:
>  C:\XY4
> The "trick" was to set Properties/Memory to:
>  Expanded (EMS) memory --- 4096
> The Win95 default seems to be 1024, which is less than XyWrite
> wants.

Well there you are, then. I'm guessing the batch file you wrote didn't
pick up that line.

> > If that fails, go back to the icon and do this:
> > Click on properties/program/advanced/click on dos.mode.

> Ah. I've always avoided this because I like to mix XyDOS with a
> couple of Windows programs (especially OED Concise and
> Webster's dictionaries and the MikTeX typesetting system).

I'm glad you didn't have to resort to that, then. Tell us a bit about
MikTeX, please. Is this similar to the Penta system, widely used in the
U.S.?

> Great! Thanks for talking me through this. Setting EMS to 4096
> appears to be the key.

Sure seems that way!

> > And what happens when you load the US dictionary instead?

> Spellchecking with the US dictionary is never a problem. It's only
> when I try to use the larger UK dictionary that things go Republican
> (well... my great grandfather would have said "go Democrat").

Ah.

> Thanks again.

You're welcome.

--