Re: USB printing ??? & DOS2USB pgm

Carl Distefano wrote:

Using a BJ130 printer driver to run a different printer (MP460) is a
kludge. That it worked in Xy3 was sheer luck, but it's hardly
surprising that the luck didn't hold up in Xy4. After all,
BJ130.PRN is not an MP460 printer file.
TYP, as Carl says, will let you print, but if you're doing footnotes
and like small superior numbers, you're out of luck, since Postscript
doesn't shrink superior characters. I wonder if one could tweak the
Xy4 driver to make it work? Would this give one a lead: create a small
file, just margins, and a sentence in normal, bold, and ital. Printf
it to a file, from both Xy 3 and Xy4 (different files, obviously).
Then run the DOS fc (file compare) command on them, with the /B
(binary) switch, to see how much was different. If not much, one could
then look at each in turn in List (I fear trying to call either in Xy
itself would cause havoc, as both are probably full of control chars);
better yet, if you have a desktop and a laptop, look at them both
together, one on each machine. See if you can see which command is
gumming up the works in 4. Xy printer drivers are editable.
It occurs to me that the mere choice of font could be the spanner in
the works. I use the HP4 drivers with current DeskJets, and some fonts
print fine, while others give completely different letters (e.g.,
what's supposed to be a X comes out d).
But why, oh why, did you need an add-on utility? Net Use SHOULD work.
I assume you're using W2K or XP? (I think I'm the last 98 diehard).
Was the port referenced in Net Use the SAME as that mentioned in the
PP table of settings.dfl for that printer? A discrepancy there would
indeed cause the command to fail.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx