Re: Wildcard replace and no 64k limit

"I use the wildcard  (the  W, that is) to remove HTML
coding from Internet pages, leaving them in clean ASCII for printing and
storage. Three Ws are usually enough to clear out even long lines of
coding. Search-and-replace also works in replacing "&whatever;" coding
with "and." And of course there's mundane word replacement as well."

While I agree with Harry 100 per cent about v4's great advantage over v3
in the 64K breakthrough and the ability to use wildcards on either side
of the delimiter in a ci, that example (not Harry's) is a ci that works
the same in v3 and v4--except faster in v3.

Where v4 improves markedly on v3 is in letting you use wildcards to
*retain* something from the left side on the right. This sequence, e.g.,
to keep link info, before erasing other html code, could be done only in v4:
	BC ci _WW _WW _XC
then the destructive ci ...
	BC ci ___XC

Chet writes: "The wildcard replaces of version 4 are nice, but I had
already added them to version 3.5 many years ago."

How, please?!? I worked out a way to ch within a v3 defined block, but
have never even *thought* about a v3 wildcard-on-both-sides-of-the-
delimiter ci.

Back to memory: Like Chet, I'm disinclined to configure for expanded
memory, xyW being the only app in my system that wants it. So when I run
xyDos 4, memory over 640 is configured only as extended. I'm amazed to be
able to RD *huge* chunks of defined text for moves without ill effect and
to find files as big as v4 .hlp displaying quickly, without swap squawks.
Robert and Carl have noted how much v4 improved memory management, and I
concur--and it's not just upper memory. 	--a