Re: XyWrite and Ghostscript

Hi, Dan: I'm delighted to read that you've installed Ghostscript! First, foremost, and crucially:
	Ghostscript reads PS code only (*writes*
	in the language of the chosen printer):
	You *must* tyf with a xyDos PS driver loaded.

I'm unfamiliar with the HP driver you mention, but would expect it to write
PCL, not PS code. GoScript prefers any app's Apple LaserWriter PS driver.
Ghostscript may want another. But you *must* tyf with a PS driver. Driver
stuff can get very sticky if you use a lot of fonts and the recommended
driver has few. Then, if FA, FP, FO, and WD info is available in another PS
driver, you must transfer it to the recommended driver. Fonts that are
nowhere to be found in xy drivers? (Oh, for an infiniType xyDos font engine.)
Add to FA and FP tables in a form recognizable to both Ghostscript and xyDos.
Width tables are the big hurdle. There *are* ways to hand-roll them, both v3
and v4, but I've never done it. I use crude substitutes. Check xyDos 4
documentation?

To use a font (other than those built into interpreter),
interpreter-to-printer file needs PFA data, often converted from PFB: I like
winPSX freeware utility a lot (developer asks as payment that you plant a
tree). It's in CIS and AO libraries, must be out there somewhere for ftp. I
think pfb2pfa utilities are common if you don't have Windows installed.

PostScript is what any given driver makes of it. For my  nyc