Off topic: type (ME letter "Yogh")

Thanks, Robert, Bill, and Emery. The problem is that it's not just my
machine that has to have it. I'm returning the file to the author, having
cleaned out all the garbage the filters put in, gotten her notes--which
she had typed at the end, and predictably gotten misnumbered--into real
endnotes, converted it back to M$Wierd (best yet in the flyting of
Redmond!), and used its kludgy Styles to format the various elements.
(All this on top of copy editing it!) Then she will be submitting it, on
disk, to a learned journal for--she hopes--publication (so PDF, which I
agree is a better solution, is out; they want something they can edit).
So I explained the problem, gave her the URLs Emery forwarded, and
advised her to ask the journal how it wanted the matter dealt with. But
why, after--what, nearly 20 years of personal computers?--do we still
have this nonsense? ASCII, ANSI, Unicode, ISOLatin... And yes, you run
into all sorts of miscues when porting to Macs.
Robert, do you recall who puts our Plantin? I may have it somewhere
around here, since I think I once had it on a system (looks like a
lighter Times Roman, if it's the one I think?) Only where, Oh where...
Patricia
PS If one must submit in Wierd, I've found converting to RTF is much
better than to Wierd directly. Word 2000 apparently has difficulty
reading earlier versions of itself, but handles RTF with aplomb.