Timing in XPL

The pause command does not work as advertised.

Try to print on the Command Line one string, pause, and then another.

BC
First
BX p 2Q2
Second
You expect to see "First" then a 2 second pause, then "Second" added onto the end.
What I in fact see is nothing, followed by a 2-second pause, followed by
"First Second"
Yet, if you change the initial BC to something that prints in a file (e.g.,
GT or TF) it works as expected!
The problem seems to be that the pause command (p) doesn't time right if
the cursor is on the command line. So I can remedy it with:

BC
First
GT
BX p 2Q2