Re: Win 7 64 Bit (Metapad)

Carl--

So close and yet...

On my XP computer, I pasted your XE attachment bits into  XYWWWEB.REG and XYWWEB.U2. Then I
copied the new .REG and .U2 versions into the Windows 7 computer along with Metapad.exe, all in my
directory C:\XY, which is mounted as C: to DOSBox

At first trying to run XE I got Application Error, so I changed your portable, variable-finding path
for Metapad (which refers to Windows beyond DOSBox, which DOSBox probably can't see) to:

XE Use_Editor=c:\metapad.exe

But running XE xetest.txt (Helpkey) I get an error message: Illegal Command cmd.exe. There's no
CMD.exe in my XY directory, which is all DOSBox can see; as I understand it, DOSBox substitutes for
CMD.exe.

When I tried to run Metapad from the C: prompt in the DOSBox simulated DOS window, after quitting
XY4,  I got the error message,  "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

Which I think means that DOSBox wants a DOS editor, which without something like U2's Clip.exe won't
be able to reach the Windows clipboard. Catch-22?

Jon Pareles