Re: XY under Linux (fwd)

Forwarded message:
" From owner-notabene@xxxxxxxx Thu Mar 27 05:59 PST 1997
" Date:     Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:02:35 -0500
" Sender: Nota Bene List
" From: Watts Martin
" Subject:   Re: NB4.5 under Linux

	+---------------- from the "other side", the Notabene list

	| an item of possible interest to those involved in platform
	| wars on how NB (read XYwrite) works under Linux, a PC form
	| of Unix.
	+------------------------------------------ say@xxxxxxxx
"
" On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Christian wrote:
"
" > Hey,
" > is there anyone, who works with NB 4.5 under Linux?
"
" Well, I did work with NB 4.2 under Linux, using DOSEMU. The basic editor
" worked flawlessly, but the keyboard stopped functioning correctly whenever I
" tried to load Orbis. My suspicion is that it has to do with NB's unusually
" aggressive keyboard control--it wants "bare metal" access at a level that
" DOSEMU isn't particularly comfortable with.
"
" Since I was using that combination, DOSEMU's keyboard handling has been
" rewritten. In the meantime, though, my Linux machine became the apartment
" "gateway," and NB moved to my Windows 95 desktop machine, where it acquired
" a new set of problems, although nothing that parallels what some folks on
" this list seem to have found under Win95.
"
" Incidentally, I also have NB on my laptop, which runs Caldera OpenDOS, and
" it runs flawlessly. Anyone still using DOS should look at OpenDOS -- all
" the features of MS-DOS and more (like multitasking without Windows) and a
" few extras, and it's free for non-commercial use.
"